Buttermilk Syrup

        Let me start this post by saying, I cannot stand to drink buttermilk. However, I have found that I love to cook and bake with buttermilk, so it is now my friend. This recipe can replace your maple syrup. It is economical to make and it is delicious!! I was planning on tapping some of our sugar maples on our farm this spring, but now that I have found buttermilk syrup, I may never eat maple syrup again. I make it with salted butter so it has that whole "salty-sweet" thing going on. AND you don't need to butter your pancakes or waffles because of the amount of butter in the syrup. Healthy ? No, but I only make freshly ground wheat or oat or kamut pancakes or waffles, so that makes it somewhat healthy, right? I know that many of you are "grain-free" I am not...I love all the grains and how good they are for you. I have some great whole grain recipes if you want them. Just let me know. Ok, here goes.
       
         Take 1 and 1/2 sticks of butter (salted). Put it in a deep saucepan, because when you add the soda, it really foams. Then add 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar and 3/4 cup of buttermilk. Bring this to a boil.

 Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Whisk it in...it will foam up and get beautiful.
   Ladle over whatever you desire but remember, it doesn't need to be buttered first. Take the cooled leftover and put it in a jar and keep in the fridge. When you want to reheat, just put it in a pan of water on the stove and heat the water until the syrup gets to the temp you want it. I have kept it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks and have reheated it several times. It tastes just as good as when you made it. I hope you enjoy it.

Comments

  1. Wow, sounds good! See if you can get Mary Ellen to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Thank you for sharing. I've even got some buttermilk (which, like you, I generally prefer for sauces and baking). I've got to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, this sounds wonderful! I saw this pinned to Pinterest.......I had to come and see. The name intrigued me. I will try. Thank you for this recipe!

    Blessings, Linda
    Prairie Flower Farm
    Kansas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts