The first day of Autumn

       I have mixed emotions about this day...I love fall and all that comes with it but I love summer too and hate to say goodbye. However, like it or not, the seasons change and I will embrace each one as they come my way.  Today, being the first day of fall  is one of the most beautiful times of year around here. West Virginia has 180 native hardwoods and they all turn a different color. We vary from the palest yellow to the deepest red to the fiery oranges and some even turn pink. I love them all but my favorite is the orange. The beginning of fall signals that feeling inside me to stay outside as long as I can. Knowing that snowy, cold days are ahead, days that are spent inside by the fire, I feel like I have to savour these warm sunny days. There is nothing better than a hike on the hill these days. I take the whole herd with me and they enjoy crunching the fallen leaves like Lays potato chips. I usually sit down on a fallen log and let the goats mingle around me. Sometimes I even doze off with the warm sunshine falling on me and when I wake up, I usually have a few of my four legged friends asleep beside me. They know what's ahead and they know also to cherish these warm fall days.
        We still have had so much rain that we haven't been able to dig potatoes yet. I hope they are alright, still buried deep in the garden. The garden is just about done now. We will turn the goats in to it in a week or so and let them clean it up. Boy, do they love that! The baby goats are doing great and growing fast. The piggies are growing too. They are up to 4 ounces a feeding now and they savour every drop of their goat milk. We will be castrating them next week...not looking forward to that, but it must be done. We are going to be doing our fall shearing tomorrow on the Angora goats. I need to be washing fleeces on these warm sunny days, instead of napping in the woods but I can't help myself.
       Well, I better get going. I have bread rising and I am going to pick up the knitting needles today...I hope you are enjoying your first fall day too....

Comments

  1. I loved reading this.....it kind of makes me want to take a walk in the woods and nap with my goats as well.....:)....We definitely love talking goats with you and Tim....you don't find many people who share that interest or know that much about them.....take care and God Bless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts