Fall is in the air

      I know it has been awhile since I have written but in my defense, I warned you all that blogging for me should be a winter sport. I have canned and canned till the jars are all full. The pantry looks like it should this time of year. The only thing left to can is potatoes and we haven't been able to get them out of the ground due to all the rain we have been having. The leaves are just starting to turn and the high for today is 60, so fall feels like it is here. I had to close the windows for the first time in ages this morning.
      Since I have posted last, we have had 6 baby goats born. I had put one of the bucks in in April just to see if any of the girls would come in. Three does did and now we will have winter milk. Two of the Nubians freshened and one of the Angoras had twin does, our first "nugoras". They are adorable and so soft and sweet. Arwin, freshened on the eve of September 11th with 2 does and a buck, so in honor of that day, the buck is named Patriot and the does are Liberty and Justice, may we never forget.....
        Last Saturday, we went to Grantsville, Maryland to order our apples for apple butter from an Amish friend. While we were there, Emilee wanted to go to the livestock auction. This is never an good idea for us because we always come home with something. Emilee bid on a beautiful spotted Mini Lop bunny and got him. Then they brought in a box of two, fit in your hand tiny, baby pigs. So, of course, we came home with them also. They were only a day old so I have been bottle feeding them around the clock, along with 6 baby goats. We named them Grunt and Squeak. They are so cute and have so much personality. They already roll over for you to scratch their bellies. The new hens have started laying and we are enjoying lots of little pullets eggs. We have been getting some beautiful blue eggs from our new Americauna girls.
        We are getting ready for Apple Butter day on Oct 1st. I hope it is a good weather day. The Friday before will be spent making the apple sauce and we will start the fire that evening and then the apple sauce will go on the fire early Saturday morning. We usually try to have it on by 5 am and it is usually getting dark as we can it up. So if you are in the area, please stop by and help stir. I will be making a huge pot of vegetable soup and pepperoni rolls to munch on all day. If you stick around until canning time, we clean the pot with chunks of homemade bread, sopping up the left over apple butter. I can taste it already... Everyone is welcome, as long as you help stir :).  
       Well, it's a cool rainy day today so I am going to start a pot of chili. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts