Where's winter?

          We have had such a mild winter this year. Last fall I thought I was being really smart by not putting the buck in with the does until late. I thought how I would beat all those 20 below zero nights and be snuggled in bed instead of in the barn delivering babies, Mother Nature has made a fool out of me. The coldest night I have seen so far this winter was 8 degrees and that's t-shirt weather. Here I could have had all the kidding done and be drinking fresh milk, but instead I have a bunch of very fat does and store bought milk in the fridge (which I refuse to drink). Oh well, next year will be different I am sure. We are still 4-5 weeks from the does freshening. Tulip, the oldest doe we have will be freshening this year. She hasn't caught for the last two years, so I thought maybe she was retired but she is wider than a house, so I know she is pregnant. She is still my best milker so far. No one can hold a candle to her. All the other animals are doing great. Egg production is down a little bit. I have been getting 15 or 16 a day, as opposed to the 22 or 23 I was getting. Still not too bad though.
          The pepper seeds have been ordered and should be here this week. We will start the peppers inside and then move them to the greenhouse in April. That's how we did it last year and the peppers did so much better. We have been eating our own hot sauce, that we canned, all winter. It is delicious!! I need to finish up the other seed orders and get them sent in. It won't be long and we will here our spring peepers singing. Even though we had a mild winter, I still can't wait for spring to get here.
          The spinning is going well. I continue to get better at it. I don't have any wool to spin, so I have had to teach myself to spin our mohair. It is slippery, compared to wool, so it is a little more challenging. I finished my first skein a couple days ago and I am knitting a hat with it. It is a wonderful feeling to be working with yarn that was raised here on our farm.  I love the fact that I was there when Tim sheared the goat, I gathered the dirty fleece from the barn floor, washed it, dried it, carded it and spun it into yarn. It is such an incredible feeling. I feel so blessed that the Lord has allowed us to do this. Now that I have been knitting with the natural fibers, I can hardly make myelf work with the man made yarn. It is hard to explain but I feel like it has no life in it. I guess that sounds crazy, but that is the best way I can put it into words.
          Well, better go. I have so much work to do today. I hope you are feeling blessed in your neck of the woods. Talk to you later...

Comments

  1. I am up in Canada and we too have had such a mild winter. Scarry thought that there is no melt down for spring run off. Hopefully water will be okay and fields wet enough.
    We began lambing here a few days ago. A little early this year but a wekk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there.. so glad to hear from you.. You could write double the amount and I would read every word.. So love hearing what you are busy doing..
    Love the idea of your own yarn... God has blessed you both in the supply and the talent.. smile..
    Hope you post a pic of your projects...
    God bless from Eastern Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having a mild winter also! I took a photo the other day of jonquils on the window sill next to my poinsettia and snowmen figurines! That's just weird. I love reading about your yarn adventures! It's nice to be self-sufficient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beauty and comfort of home you share with us here is so precious. I offer you the Versatile blogger award. Please drop by for details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele, I apppreciate each and every comment and follower. I will check it out on your blog.

      Delete
  5. I agree where is winter, other than today? Do you realize we are neighbors? I am in Nitro, Wv and grew up in Ritchie County, Wv! Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Clint I had no idea where you were. We are in Marion county. Yes, we are having winter today. I have been watching the thermometer drop all afternoon. It will be a cold one tonight for sure. Just got done tucking all the animals in for the night. Glad to have "met" you. Becky

      Delete
  6. Wow, I am pretty amazed at what I'm reading on your blog. I can hardly keep up with your farm terms, but it is so enjoyable to read nonetheless. The Lord has definitely blessed you. Thank you for stopping by my site so that I could be led to yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts