Always Listen to The Border Collie...

           Those of you who are regular readers of the blog, know that I have written before about Megg, our Border Collie, and how she is not one to sleep in. Well, this morning I should have listened to her. She woke me up at 3:30 by jumping up on my side of the bed. Usually, I just pull her up beside me and she will lie down next to me and wait impatiently for me to get up. If I move, she is ready to go. This morning, however, she wouldn't lie down. I could hear her pacing to the back door and then back through the house to the bed again. This went on for an hour and I finally gave in. Every morning when I open the back door, she flies out and run all over the farm, checking things out. This morning, she ran straight to the barn door and sat down. Now I knew something was up. I was half afraid to open the door and see what was going on. We were greeted by a brand new little black lamb!! Ruth, our black sheep had just given birth. Megg went over to the lamb, gave her a lick and sat down. She looked up at me as if to say... "I've been trying to tell you..." Ruth must have been making noises that only Megg could hear. Our first lamb born on Crossed Arrows Farm is a beautiful black ewe lamb. Her name is Miriam. We are so thrilled with our first lamb out of Boaz. He has turned out to be a very handsome ram. Esther has been acting strange all morning. I am not sure if she is just worried about Ruth or if she is also ready to lamb. I am watching her very closely. The moral of this story is, I need to start trusting Megg a little more. She is proving to be a whole lot smarter than I am. Thankfully, everything was fine but if this ewe had need help, I wouldn't have been there. I am learning why shepherds rely on their dogs so much. Today, I truly feel like a shepherdess. It's a grand feeling to have.

Comments

  1. Aw congrats on the new little one.

    Megg is such a good girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, good Megg :-). So, um, where are the pictures???

    Nice blog! Looking forward to reading more :-).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts