Finding the time..

        It has been so long since I have posted and it's not because I don't have something to say, it's because I can't find the time to write it down. I could never be a "professional blogger" that much is for certain. We have had such a busy summer. I have been feeling fall in the air for over a week now. It kind of makes me sad because I love summer so much. There are fewer lightening bugs at night now. But on the up side, the crickets have started to really sing to us. The pond is getting quiet, very few frogs croaking. The ironweed is is full bloom and the Joe Pye weed is fading. The whippoorwills are done singing at night. The leaves on the trees are starting to get that tired look. The fall grass has started to grow in the pasture. The does are starting to look for a buck. Everywhere you look, you can see fall coming.
       The garden has done very well this year. I started canning chili tomatoes last week and tomorrow I start spaghetti sauce. The basil has done amazing this year, so there will be lots of it in the sauce. We have been eating cantaloupe until we are just about tired of it. We have never grown such huge ones and so sweet!! The hot peppers are loaded too. We have been eating Silver Queen corn for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The lettuce is done but the kale is getting huge. The potatoes are melt in your mouth delicious. The pole beans are 14 feet in the air. All in all, it has been a good garden year.
       All of the animals are doing well. We have fought some new battles with parasites in the goats this year, due to the mild winter. I have had to educate myself on the barber pole worm and have nearly lost some goats until I figured out what it was. There is always something new to learn in the animal world. I have become such a fan of the call ducks. They are so sweet and the cutest little things and so tame. My Sebastapol geese are beautiful now with their curly white feathers.
        Twenty years ago when I moved to this beautiful state, one of the things I said I wanted to have was a Border Collie. I have had all kinds of dogs in the past twenty years but never found a Border Collie. Last week I put a deposit on a four week old beautiful female. She is marked exactly like I had pictured her to look all these years. Perfect white blaze, white collar, four white feet and a white tip on her tail. She comes from champion herding lines and will be registered with the American Border Collie Association. I have always wondered what I would name her, if I ever got one and the name that I have decided on, is a name that is the most popular in England and Scotland. Over 13,000 female Border Collies have been named this since records have been kept. I figure if it's good enough for all those farmers out on the hills, dales and moors of Scotland, it's good enough for me. Can you guess what it is?
         Well. I better go shut the chickens up for the night. Hope you all are well and happy.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts